We take your privacy seriously and are committed to protecting your personal information. Our Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use and share personal information in the course of our business activities. In order to help you find what you are looking for, we have divided the information into several sections. These sections provide general information about us and how this Privacy Notice applies.
• About the Emirates Group
• Providing your personal information
• Third Party Websites
About the Emirates Group
The Emirates Group includes a number of related businesses, including:
• Emirates, whose principal office is at Emirates Group Headquarters, PO Box 686, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Emirates is a Dubai corporation established by Decree No.2 of 1985 (as amended) of the Government of Dubai, which is primarily focused on airline operations and includes divisions and/or entities such as Emirates Skycargo, Skywards and Business Rewards; and
• dnata, whose principal office is at Emirates Group Headquarters, PO Box 686, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. dnata is a Dubai corporation established by Decree No.1 of 1987 (as amended) of the Government of Dubai, which is primarily focused on ground handling, cargo, catering and travel agency services and includes divisions and/or entities such as dnata Travel, Arabian Adventures and marhaba.
You can find out more about the Emirates Group here.
This Privacy Notice covers the Emirates Airline Foundation, its websites, mobile applications and mobile websites (collectively referred to as the “Platforms”) except where you are notified of another privacy notice by the specific Emirates Group entity who collects your personal information.
Providing your personal information
The Emirates Group entity responsible for your personal information will be the member of Emirates Group that originally collects information from or about you. Where the collection and use of personal information is not addressed by this Privacy Notice, the privacy notice made available when your personal information is collected will apply.
You do not have to provide your personal information to us, but if you do not provide certain information we will only be able to provide limited products and services to you.
We may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time to keep it up to date with legal requirements and the way we operate our business. If we decide to change our Privacy Notice we will place any updates on this webpage and the privacy sections of any relevant Platforms. Please regularly check this webpage and the privacy sections of any relevant Platforms for the latest version of our Privacy Notice. If at any point we decide to make fundamental changes to our Privacy Notice, we will seek to inform you by notice on our website or on the relevant section of any other Platform or email.
Third Party Websites
You might find external links to third party websites on our Platforms. Our Privacy Notice does not apply to your use of a third party site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of websites that are not operated by an entity in the Emirates Group and encourage you to read the privacy statements of any such third party site.
Personal information we collect and use
These sections explain the personal information we collect and use in the course of our business activities.
• Personal information we collect and use if you make a donation to us
• Personal information we collect and use if you make an application for, or receive, a grant from us
• Personal information we collect and use when you use our Platforms
• Personal information we collect and use for legal, compliance, regulatory and crime detection and prevention purposes
• Personal information we collect and use from third parties
• Personal information we collect and use when you are making a payment
• Personal information we collect and use if we arrange a booking on your behalf to fly with Emirates
Personal information we collect and use if you make a donation to us
When you make a donation to us, we will collect, process and use personal information so that we can process your donation.
Types of personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect when you make a booking or fly with us includes your:
• contact details (including email address and telephone/mobile number)
• payment information
How we use this personal information
We use your personal information to:
• process your donation including sending you a confirmation of your donation
• process payments for your donation and for accounting or audit purposes
• as you may authorise or consent to additionally from time to time
Personal information we collect and use if you make an application for, or receive, a grant from us
When you make an application for, or receive, a grant from us, we will collect, process and use personal information so that we can deal with all aspect of your application.
Types of personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect from you when you make an application for, or receive, a grant from us includes your:
• contact details (including email address and telephone/mobile number)
• country of residence
• organisation/company name, address, telephone number and coordinator name and contact details
How we use this personal information
We use the personal information we collect if you make an application for, or receive, a grant from us to:
• evaluate your application
• communicate and interact with you at different touch points throughout the application process
• as you may authorise or consent to additionally from time to time
Personal information we collect and use when you use our Platforms
Personal information we collect and use for legal, compliance, regulatory and crime detection and prevention purposes
We process your personal information so that we can meet our legal, compliance and regulatory obligations, for legal purposes, such as to respond to a valid legal subpoena, claim, summons or regulatory order, and to protect our property, rights and interests as well as the property, rights and interest of other persons.
We also process your personal information for crime prevention and detection purposes, including the prevention of fraud for online payments, for identity verification, for credit checking and credit scoring purposes and accounting or audit purposes.
Personal information we collect and use from third parties
We collect personal information from third parties who you have authorised to provide your personal information to us (for example, this may be your references when applying for a grant with us). We combine this information with the information we collect directly from you or about you for the purposes set forth in this Privacy Notice. More details on Sharing your personal information with others is below.
Personal information we collect and use when you are making a payment
We collect different personal information depending on your payment method (such as credit card, bank transfer, cash). For example, for credit card payments we collect the credit card holder name, address, card number, expiry date and CVC code. You may also choose to store your credit card details with us for future use. We do not store your CVC/CVV code (which is the security code on the back of a credit card).
Personal information we collect and use if we arrange a booking on your behalf to fly with Emirates
These sections explain the legal basis for collecting and using your personal information, how we use personal information for marketing, analytics and profiling, how we protect your personal information, the legal rights that are available to you and how to contact us.
• Legal basis for using your personal information
• Sharing your personal information with others
• How we use personal information to keep you up to date with our products and services
• How you can manage your marketing preferences
• When and how we undertake analytics and profiling
• Transferring personal information globally
• How we protect and store your personal information
• Legal rights available to help manage your privacy
• California Shine the Light Disclosure
• How to contact us
• Legal Basis Table
Legal basis for using your personal information
We only collect, process, use, share and store your personal information where we are satisfied that we have an appropriate legal basis to do this. This may be because:
• we need to use your personal information to perform a contract or take steps to enter into a contract with you.
• we need to use your personal information for our legitimate interest as a commercial organisation. In all such cases, we will look after your information at all times in a way that is proportionate, that respects your privacy rights and is in accordance with our Privacy Notice, and you have a right to object to processing as explained in Legal rights available to help manage your privacy;
• we need to use your personal information to comply with a relevant legal or regulatory obligation that we have.
• we have your consent to using your personal information for a particular activity.
• we need to use your personal information to protect your vital interests.
We set out more information about the legal bases for which we process personal information in the table which you can access below. There may be one or more legal bases relevant to an activity listed in this table. The table may be amended and updated from time to time.
Sharing your personal information with others
We share your personal information in the manner and for the purposes described below:
• with other entities within the Emirates Group where such disclosure is necessary to provide you with our products and services or to manage our business, including loyalty schemes. We may also share your personal information within the Emirates Group to personalise the service and offers you receive (for example, by being aware of previous travel experiences, transactions or preferences, and tailoring the way we provide our products or services to you based on your preferences and profile); to develop a single view of our customers’ transactions, interactions, preferences and behaviours across the Emirates Group; to improve the products and services we offer or help us to create new ones and for marketing, profiling and analytics as detailed in Personal information we collect and use for marketing purposes, profiling and analytics below; and for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. Click here for a list of the members of Emirates Group;
• with third parties who help us manage our business and deliver our products and services, including loyalty schemes. These third parties have agreed to confidentiality obligations and use any personal information we share with them or which they collect on our behalf solely for the purposes of providing the contracted service to us. These third parties include service providers who help manage our IT and back office systems, detect fraudulent transactions and security incidents, provide customer service centre support, manage airport operations, manage communications and tailor marketing and advertising; verify payments such as banks and payment card companies; manage our data warehouses; provide services to administer our Platforms; provide internet services; host our facilities; provide airport ground handling and assistance; provide car services; and conduct research that assists us with understanding consumer interests.
• bank and payment providers to authorise and complete payments;
• with governments, government organisations and agencies, border control agencies, regulators, law enforcement and others as permitted or required by law, and to generally comply with all applicable laws, regulations and rules, and requests of law enforcement, regulatory and other governmental agencies;
• we may share in aggregate, statistical form, non-personal information regarding the visitors to our Platforms, traffic patterns and Platform usage with our other entities within the Emirates Group or third party advertisers and social media and digital platforms to provide advertising;
• we work with third party advertising and social media platforms to provide more personalised advertising promoting our products and services in accordance with your preferences as detailed in Personal information we collect and use for marketing purposes, profiling and analytics below; and
• if, in the future, we sell or transfer some or all of our business or assets to a third party, we may disclose information to a potential or actual third party purchaser of our business or assets.
How we use personal information to keep you up to date with our products and services
We use personal information to let you know about Emirates Group products and services that we think may be of interest to you. This may be based on your preferences, derived from Cookies, inferred from your interactions with us including on our social media accounts or market research. We may also let you know about our corporate services which we believe may be relevant to you in a professional capacity.
We also work with social media and other digital platforms to provide you with advertisements within those platforms. We provide them with your name and contact details (such as your email address or phone numbers). If these social media and digital platforms match profile information provided by us with your profile information held by them then they will serve you our advertisements. The social media platforms will not identify you or share other personal information in your social media account to us.
We will only send you direct marketing, whether about Emirates Group, carefully selected third parties or partners, products or services, in accordance with your marketing preferences. We may contact you by email, SMS/text, social media, or through other communication channels that we think you may find helpful. If at any time you would like us to stop sending you marketing material, contact us or choose the relevant "unsubscribe" option set out below.
How you can manage your marketing preferences
To protect your privacy and to ensure you have control over how we manage marketing with you (and provided that you have indicated that you would like to receive it):
• we will take steps to limit direct marketing to a reasonable and proportionate level;
• only send you communications which we believe may be of interest or relevance to you and at all times in line with your permissions, which, as appropriate, may include:
o telling you about developments in the products and services available through our Platforms and those of our carefully selected partners (provided that we will communicate these to you in conjunction with our own marketing);
o allowing other companies within the Emirates Group to send you information about developments in their products and services; and
o allowing third parties to send you marketing or updates relating to their products or services.
• you can click the "unsubscribe" link that you will find at the bottom of our emails which you receive from us, or you can unsubscribe by contacting us or changing your account settings which will remove you from Emirates' marketing lists;
• you can unsubscribe from Emirates Skywards marketing communication by going to www.emirates.com, logging in to Skywards, selecting ‘My Account’ and then selecting ‘Personal Preferences’. Within Personal Preferences you can scroll down and update your preferences;
• you can opt out of mobile device messages or notifications from Emirates applications by going into “settings” on your device and turn off notifications for the relevant Emirates application; and
• if you do not want to be served with our advertisements within social media or other digital platforms, you can manage your preferences within these platforms.
Be aware that if you unsubscribe completely from our marketing communications we may be unable to notify you of tailored offers to meet your needs. If you do unsubscribe from marketing communications you will still receive operational and service messages from us regarding your booking including where you may not have completed a booking (such as abandoned cart emails or pop-up notices), management of our loyalty schemes and responses to your enquiries made to us.
When and how we undertake analytics and profiling
We aggregate personal information and remove any identifying elements in order to analyse patterns and improve our marketing and promotional efforts, to analyse Platform use, to improve our content and products and services, to customize our Platforms’ content, layout, products and services, and to support our business operations and we may appoint third parties to do this on our behalf, as set out above in Sharing personal information with others.
If you use buttons on our Platforms linked to social media or similar sites (for example, "Like" and/or "Share" buttons), content from our Platforms may be sent back to those sites and, depending on your privacy settings, may be privately or publicly visible (for example, to friends, followers or generally to anyone who has access to your profile page).
We use personal information such as your date of birth, gender, country of residence, transactions (for example, payments made with us, mileage and flights taken), information derived from Cookies and your preferences for profiling. Some of the legitimate purposes we profile personal information include:
• to obtain a better understanding of what you would like to see from us and how we can continue to improve our services for you;
• to personalise the service and offers you receive from us and recognise your loyalty and reward you as part of our loyalty schemes, including with invitations to special events;
• to provide you with tailored content online and optimise your experience of our Platforms;
• to provide you with tailored advertisements on other websites you visit and social media and digital platforms;
• to share marketing material we believe may be of interest to you, including from other companies within the Emirates Group and our third party partners;
• to help us operate our services more efficiently;
• to authenticate log-ins on our Platforms and detect and prevent fraud.
Where required under applicable privacy laws:
• we will take steps to ensure that prior to profiling your personal information for a legitimate interest that our legitimate interest is not overridden by your own interests or fundamental rights and freedoms; and
• you may have rights to object to us profiling your personal information. You can learn more about such rights in Legal rights available to help manage your privacy.
Transferring personal information globally
The Emirates Group is a global business, which means your personal information may be transferred and stored in the United Arab Emirates and other countries which may be outside your country of residence. Some of these countries are subject to different standards of data protection than your country of residence.
We will take appropriate steps to ensure that transfers of personal information are in accordance with applicable law, and we only transfer personal information to another country where:
• we are satisfied that adequate levels of protection are in place to protect your information; and
• the transfers are fully managed to protect your privacy rights and interests and are limited to countries which are recognized as providing an adequate level of legal protection or where we can be satisfied that alternative arrangements are in place to protect your privacy rights.
To this end:
• we ensure transfers within the Emirates Group will be covered by an agreement entered into by members of the Emirates Group (an intra group agreement) which contractually obliges each member to ensure that personal information receives an adequate and consistent level of protection wherever it is transferred within the Emirates Group;
• where we transfer your personal information outside the Emirates Group or to third parties (who help us to provide our products and services), we obtain contractual commitments from them to protect your personal information; or
• where we receive requests for information from law enforcement or regulators, we carefully review and validate these requests before any personal information is disclosed.
In the event your personal information is transferred to a foreign jurisdiction, it may be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and we may be required to disclose it to the courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities in those jurisdictions.
You have a right to contact us for more information about the safeguards we have put in place (including a copy of relevant contractual commitments) to ensure the adequate protection of your personal information when this is transferred as mentioned above.
For residents of Australia, your personal information may be transferred to the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and where our servers are located from time to time, along with where you are travelling to or from or as required by law.
How we protect and store your personal information
Protection of your personal information
We have implemented and maintain appropriate technical and organisational security measures, policies and procedures designed to protect the personal information that you share with us and safeguard the privacy of such information. For example, the measures we take include:
• placing confidentiality requirements on our staff members and service providers;
• destroying or permanently anonymising personal information if it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected;
• following security procedures in the storage and disclosure of your personal information to prevent unauthorised access to it; and
• using secure communication channels such as SSL ("secure sockets layer") or TLS (“transport layer security”) for transmitting data that is sent to us. SSL and TLS are industry standard encryption protocols used to protect online transaction channels.
As the security of information depends in part on the security of the computer you use to communicate with us and the security you use to protect user IDs and passwords, please take appropriate measures to protect this information.
Here are some simple steps you can take to ensure your personal information is kept securely:
• keep your booking reference confidential - upon making a booking a unique booking reference (also known as a PNR or Passenger Name Record) will appear on the email confirmation or ticket of each person in your booking. It is important that you keep your booking reference confidential at all times. Other persons may be able to access your booking details through our system if you disclose your booking reference to them;
• log-out when you finish using our Platforms. This is especially important if you are using a publicly accessible computer; and
• be aware of "Phishing", which is where someone tries to represent themselves as someone else to gain information from you - always check whether emails from any sender are actually from them, and if in doubt, go directly to their website and do not click on links in emails, as these may take you to "clone" websites which use your information illegally.
Storage of your personal information
We keep your personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary for the purposes for which it was collected. For example, to manage bookings and provide you with any relevant Emirates products or services, as explained in this Privacy Notice. We will ensure that it is disposed of in a secure manner.
In some circumstances we may store your personal information for longer periods of time, for example, where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, regulatory, tax, or accounting requirements, so that we have an accurate record of your dealings with us in the event of any complaints or challenges, or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation relating to your personal information or dealings.
If you require further information about how we retain particular information please contact us.
A “cookie” is a small computer file which is downloaded to your device. It collects information as to how you navigate our Platforms and the internet, and helps us provide better Platform services to you and tailor certain content.
Cookies may collect personal information about you. Cookies help us remember information about your visit to our Platforms, like your country, language and other settings and searches. Cookies enable us to understand who has seen which webpages and how frequently, and to determine which are the most popular areas of our Platforms. They can also help us to operate our website more efficiently, and make your next visit easier and customise your view of the Platforms to reflect your preferences and activities. They also help us tailor our marketing and advertisements to you on our Platforms, other websites you visit, social media platforms and your other devices.
See also our section on When and how we undertake profiling and analytics.
Legal rights available to help manage your privacy
If you are subject to laws that provide you with such rights, depending on certain exceptions, and in some cases dependent upon the processing activity we are undertaking, you may have certain rights in relation to your personal information. Click on the links below to learn more about each right you may have:
• To access personal information
• To rectify / erase (‘right to be forgotten’) personal information
• To restrict the processing of your personal information
• To object to the processing (including direct marketing) of personal information
• To transfer your personal information
• To obtain a copy of personal information safeguards used for transfers outside your jurisdiction
• To lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority
If you wish to access any of the rights set out above, we may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes, in particular before disclosing personal information to you. We reserve the right to charge a fee where permitted by law, for example, if your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive.
You can exercise your rights by completing a form on our website which you can find here, by emailing our Data Privacy Office at email@example.com or by sending us a communication at Data Privacy Office, Emirates, P.O. Box 686, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Subject to legal and other permissible considerations, we will make every reasonable effort to honour your request promptly or inform you if we require further information in order to fulfil your request.
We may not always be able to fully address your request, for example, if it would impact the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
Right to access personal information
You have a right to request that we provide you with a copy of your personal information that we hold and you have the right to be informed of: the source of your personal information; the purposes, legal basis and methods of processing; the data controller’s identity; and the entities or categories of entities to whom your personal information may be transferred.
Right to rectify or erase personal information
You have a right to request that we rectify inaccurate personal information. We may seek to verify the accuracy of the personal information before rectifying it.
You can also request that we erase your personal information in limited circumstances where:
• it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected; or
• you have withdrawn your consent (where the data processing was based on consent); or
• following a successful right to object (see right to object); or
• it has been processed unlawfully; or
• the personal information must be erased for compliance with a legal obligation under European Union or Member State law to which the relevant Emirates Group entity is subject.
We are not required to comply with your request to erase personal information if the processing of your personal information is necessary:
• for compliance with a legal obligation; or
• for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Right to object to the processing (including direct marketing) of your personal information
You can object to any processing of your personal information which has our legitimate interests as its legal basis, if you believe your fundamental rights and freedoms outweigh our legitimate interests.
If you raise an objection, we have an opportunity to demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate interests which override your rights and freedoms.
You can request that we stop contacting you for marketing purposes.
You can request that we not transfer your personal information to unaffiliated third parties for the purposes of direct marketing or any other purposes.
Right to transfer your personal information
You can ask us to provide your personal information to you in a structured, commonly used, machine readable format, or you can ask to have it transferred directly to another data controller, but in each case only where:
• the processing is based on your consent or on the performance of a contract with you; and
• the processing is carried out by automated means.
Right to obtain a copy of personal information safeguards used for transfers outside your jurisdiction
You can ask to obtain a copy of, or reference to, the safeguards under which your personal information is transferred outside of the European Union.
We may redact data transfer agreements to protect commercial terms.
Right to restrict the processing of your personal information
You can ask us to restrict your personal information, but only where:
• its accuracy is contested, to allow us to verify its accuracy; or
• the processing is unlawful, but you do not want it erased; or
• it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected, but we still need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
• you have exercised the right to object, and verification of overriding grounds is pending.
We can continue to use your personal information following a request for restriction, where:
• we have your consent; or
• to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
• to protect the rights of another natural or legal person.
Right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority
You have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority (i.e. your place of habitual residence, place of work of place of alleged infringement) if you have concerns about how we are processing your personal information.
We ask that you please attempt to resolve any issues with us first, although you have a right to contact your supervisory authority at any time.
California Shine the Light Disclosure
If we share your personal information with carefully selected third parties for the third party’s own marketing purposes and you are a California resident, you may contact us once per year to request the name of that third party(ies) and the categories of information shared about you. To do so, please send a request to us as set out below with valid proof of California residency. Please note that it may take up to 30 days to process your request.
How to contact us
The primary point of contact for all issues arising from this Privacy Notice is our Data Privacy Officer, who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending us a communication to the Data Privacy Office, Emirates Group, P.O. Box 686, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. For all other inquiries, you may contact us.
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints regarding our compliance with this Privacy Notice, we encourage you to first contact our Data Privacy Officer. We will investigate and attempt to resolve complaints and disputes as quickly as possible and in any event, within the timescales provided by applicable data protection laws.
Legal Basis Table
|We use your personal information to:
|Legal basis for using personal information:
|Rationale for legitimate interests legal basis:
|Process your donation
|for the performance of a contract with you
|Process your application for, or receive, a grant from us
|for the performance of a contract with you
|Personalise the service and offers you receive and personalise our Platforms and communications
|for our legitimate interest
|Improve our products and services and create new ones – including through surveys; and analysing inquiries and interactions with us
|for our legitimate interest
|It is in our legitimate interests to improve our products and service based on our customers’ information such as their transactions and interactions with us. It is unlikely that this type of activity will override your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms which require protection of your personal data. If you are a data subject protected by the GDPR you may have rights to restrict or object to this processing, however please note that this may adversely affect the products and services we offer.
|Market our products and services to you – Including through direct marketing; advertisements on social media and other digital platforms; and contests, competitions, prize draws or promotional offers
|for our legitimate interest; with your consent
|It is in our legitimate interests to promote our products and services to provide you information about our offers and to increase sales and customer engagement including by using third parties to support us in doing so. It is unlikely that this type of activity will override your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms which require protection of your personal data. We will seek your consent where we are legally required to do so. If you are a data subject protected by the GDPR you may have rights to restrict or object to this processing. If you do not want to receive such marketing from us you can unsubscribe by choosing the relevant "unsubscribe" option set out in our Privacy Notice.
|Manage our business – including to detect and prevent fraud; analysing our customers, products and services; and by using third parties to manage our products and services
|for our legitimate interest
|It is in our legitimate interest to support our business including by preventing fraud and understanding our customers and how they use our products and services. It is unlikely that this type of activity will override your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms which require protection of your personal data. If you are a data subject protected by the GDPR you may have rights to restrict or object to this processing however please note that this may adversely affect use of our products and services.
|To comply with legal and regulatory obligations – including related to crime prevention and security; immigration and customs; and subpoenas, claims, summons and regulatory orders
|to comply with a legal obligation
|To manage legal claims – including to establish and defend a legal claim
|necessary for the establishment or defence of a legal claim
|If we need to commence a legal claim or defend a legal claim, we may process special categories of data for the establishment, exercise or defence of such claim or whenever courts are acting in their judicial capacity
By using this Emirates.com website and our mobile applications and mobile websites (“the Platforms”) you agree and consent that we and third parties can store and access cookies, IP addresses and use other tracking technology methods to enable Platform functionality, collect aggregated data about website usage, improve your online experience and manage and tailor our advertising and service communications with you. There are means of disabling cookies as set out below if you choose to do so, however this may affect your use of our Platforms. See below for more information about what cookies are, the tracking technology we use, and how we use them.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that is placed and stored on your browser or device by a platform. Cookies allow a website owner to distinguish the activities carried out from your device from other users of that website. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser or device if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other websites.
Our Platforms use different types of cookies. Session cookies exist just for your session on our Platform and persistent cookies exist for a period of time after your visit. First party cookies are cookies set by our Platforms and third party cookies are set by third party platforms. We utilise both session and persistent cookies, and first and third party cookies.
Essential Cookies - these cookies are essential for the operation of our Platforms. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our websites, progress or complete a booking or make use of other online services we provide. If you disable these cookies then you may not be able to use our Platforms fully or at all.
Analytical/performance cookies – these allow us to count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Platforms. We aggregate this data and analyse it to improve the way our Platforms work and the user experience, for example, by improving the Platform’s layout. We use trusted third party analytics providers’ tools to enable this analysis.
Cookies for enhancing your experience (often referred to as functional cookies) - these are used to recognise you when you return to our Platforms. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name, provide your Skywards details if you are registered and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region) and to identify to us where you don't complete a booking (so we can inform you of this and provide assistance).
Advertising cookies - these cookies record your visit to our websites, the pages you have visited and actions you have taken. We will use this information to make our advertising displayed on other platforms (by third party advertising providers) more relevant to you. We may share this information with third parties for this purpose, for example, we may serve you a relevant advertisement based on your browsing history with our Platforms. We also use third party cookies so we can personalise our advertisements to you and to help us analyse our customers' behaviour. Our third party advertising providers set anonymous cookies on other websites that we advertise on. If you receive one of those cookies, we may then use it to identify you as having visited that site if you later visit our Platforms. We then personalise our advertisements to you based on this information.
Local Storage Objects - we may use Flash Local Storage Objects (“Flash LSOs”) to store your Platform preferences and to personalize your visit. Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete, or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs through your web browser. For more information on Flash LSOs, or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash LSOs, go to the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, choose “Global Storage Settings Panel” and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs currently on your computer, choose “Website Storage Settings Panel” and follow the instructions to review and, if you choose, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
How can I reject cookies and/or delete existing cookies?
Modern browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. You can set your browsers or devices to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time. The last of these means that certain personalised features cannot then be provided to you and accordingly you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the website's features. Each browser is different, so check the ‘help’, 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. The following links provide more information on cookie settings for commonly used browsers: Cookie settings in Internet Explorer(Opens external link in a new tab); Cookie settings in Firefox(Opens external link in a new tab); Cookie settings in Chrome(Opens external link in a new tab); Cookie settings in Safari web(Opens external link in a new tab) and iOS(Opens external link in a new tab).
You can also visit http://www.aboutcookies.org/(Opens external link in a new tab) which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. This site includes details on how to delete cookies from your computer as well as more general information about cookies.
We do not recommend turning cookies off when visiting our websites as this could disadvantage you by preventing you from making bookings through our loyalty schemes, or preventing you from booking certain types of products and services. It may also mean that certain parts or functions of our websites do not work properly. Please also note that if you delete your cookies we may no longer automatically recognise your preferences, such as language and country preferences, any previous consent to terms and conditions or any opt-outs.
In relation to advertising cookies, if you are in the EU you can use the YourOnlineChoices.eu(Opens external link in a new tab) website which allows you to set which advertising cookie providers you accept, and which you do not. You can manage cookies set by third parties by visiting the specific websites of these third parties. For example, all the data collected on you by Google can be accessed at myactivity.google.com(Opens external link in a new tab).
Other tracking technologies
We use clear image files, pixel tags and other similar technology embedded within emails we send to you and on our Platforms. These files are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear images are embedded invisibly on web pages or in emails. We may use clear images (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with the Platforms to, among other things, track the activities of Platform visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about usage of the Platforms. We and our third party service providers also use clear images in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
We use aggregated statistics provided by third party digital platforms about your interaction with us across multiple devices, such as your laptop and mobile, based on your log-ins into different services offered by these third parties. These statistics help us understand your journey across different devices and personalise the look and feel of our Platforms. These third parties also allow us to personalise our advertisements to you on your various devices on the basis of your behaviour on one or more of your devices where you have logged into the relevant third parties’ services.
We use other aggregated data provided by third party digital platforms including demographic information (such as age and gender) and your interests (such as travel and shopping) derived from your other website usage, together with our own aggregated data about your interactions with us on our Platforms to understand user behaviour to improve our Platforms, products and services. We do not disaggregate this data to identify your specific demographic or interest information.
For US users: Online behavioural advertising
Use of Google Analytics
The following website gives information specifically about privacy (such as issues around Internet advertising: YourOnlineChoices.eu (Opens external link in a new tab)) - as referred to above this allows you to set which advertising cookie providers you accept.
Detailed information about cookies
This table details some examples of the different cookies that our Platforms use. The table sets out information explaining the purpose of these cookies and where applicable, includes links to further information that may be of use.
|Checks whether user session is available for payment
|_ga, _gat, _gid, gtmEKLandingPage, gtmPrevPage, GAUH
|Collects and aggregates data about how users interact with our platform, what pages they look at, how long they spend on them, and other details such as if they have booked a flight or registered in our email database. We use this information to know if our platforms are working as intended, as well as understanding how our users are getting to our site.
|Link to Google Analytics Opens in a new tab